08 March 2009

pottering

We're not quite there yet. It's definitely in the air and we have a gloriously warm Sunday afternoon to prove it. From what I've been seeing and hearing, everyone in the neighbourhood has spent the last two days not on the slopes, but outdoors casting a critical eye on terraces, patios and the general state of their gardens. As in England, it's a very serious business, but here we can rest safe in the knowledge that the seasons actually do come to a very abrupt end rather than bleeding seamlessly into one long undefinable 'period'. It's very reassuring and does wonders for your state of mind. When it comes to the weather, the locals here are very amusing, actually getting a bit cross if the rain doesn't stop after say, 2 days.
So yes spring, as I said, we're not quite there yet. Gardens are still a bit bare but you do see buds everywhere you look and that's enough to fill you with giddy anticipation. This weekend, then, to start the season off I've been de-misting the terrace and blowing old leaves and cobwebs off my favourite pots. I have two very special ones that I found in France a few summers ago, they're tiny but perfectly suited for now, when you just want to put a little colour here and there while you're waiting for the colour riot to really get going.

4 comments:

dani said...

G-o-r-g-e-o-u-s! Remember: I cannot be held responsible if they suddenly go missing (wink)...

Anonymous said...

I too am really excited by the signs of spring,currently in our new garden we have no idea what plants will be appearing, but after news from our old home in Devon that our garden bank was covered in its usual sea of yellow primroses, and the wood full of wood violets (and starting to feel a tinge of yearning!), I was thrilled to see crocus, snowdrop and blossom in our garden here in Ticino. At this time of year, wherever I have lived in the UK I would be starting to visit my favourite spring spots- in Gloucestershire it was a wood near Wotton- Under-Edge that is always covered in Snowdrops and in Devon I would be off to Dartington Hall where the trees, beginning to bud, would be surrounded by a circular sea of crocus's.It is exciting here in Ticino to explore the area and locate new 'spring spots'. I have noticed that some of the vines here in Ticino have a species of viola under them- masses of white and yellow tiny flowers adding a flourish of colour to the dormant vines.
But back to the pots- they are lovely and I look forward to seeing what will emerge from them!

☂小羅 said...

it sounds like you are fond of things from nature.

☂小羅 said...

i sincerely wish you happiness,cheerfulness and success!!

wibiya widget