06 October 2010

pink month

Just in case you didn't know, October is the month of breast cancer awareness. Therefore, like it says, be aware. Take a moment to check yourself out and go see your GP if you find anything at all that seems strange, different, weird. If there is something, even if that something is barely noticeable, don't say to yourself "it's nothing", just make an appointment and be sure.
I'm sat here with my morning cuppa thinking firstly about the women I know who have been affected by breast cancer directly or indirectly (alarmingly, quite a few) and secondly I'm thinking about myself and the monumentous madness my life would turn into if ever I had to face up to this disease. My children, my husband, my parents, my siblings, my friends... unbearable, how would I cope? My natural optimism, would it be of help here? With any luck I won't ever have to find an answer to these questions. But "aside from non-melanoma skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common form of cancer in women (Pink Ribbon International)" so I feel I'm in there with a chance. 
Yesterday, during one of my lessons, we were discussing what it means to be a genius and by pure chance I was made aware of the brilliant surgeon and oncologist Umberto Veronesi who founded the European Institute of Oncology based in Milan. If breast cancer has touched your life in any way, these two links will definitely be of interest and hopefully of use.
I also came across this fantastic blog (soon to become a book) dedicated to surviving breast cancer, it's an inspiring and dare I say funny read and definitely one for the favourites bar.
Anyway, my tea's gone cold now, must get on with the day.

No comments:

wibiya widget